At the end of the war, the German submarine fleet of around 200 vessels surrendered. The UB 98 ended up in Porthmadog and the public were allowed on board for a small charge. The submarine was scrapped in 1922, but several remnants survive to this day. Clough Williams-Ellis, the architect of Portmeirion, obtained bronze nuts to make decorative garlands on the Llanfrothen war memorial. Sheets of metal were used in fabricating a tunnel on the Ffestiniog Railway and parts of valves were used in the construction of small hydro-electric schemes in the district.
This tribute was suggested by Robert Cadwalader. In association with Porthmadog Maritime Museum.