John Cory Sailors’ Rest and Bethel was built in 1907 to provide shelter and comfort to “men of the sea” who, shipwrecked and suffering, may be landed at the Port of Milford Haven. During the war the Bethel became the refuge for hundreds of men, women and children – the crews and passengers of 148 torpedoed vessels, sunk off the Pembrokeshire coast. They needed clothes, food and lodgings and often medical attention. The survivors were often interviewed at the Bethel by newspaper reporters and accounts of some of their ordeals are recorded below.
This tribute was suggested by Helen Rowe. In association with RCAHMW.